Saturday, October 31, 2009

Rammstein Ist Gut

I never thought I would listen to a Rammstein album and enjoy it. Several years ago I heard "Du Hast" and thought that it was a joke and that the band themselves weren't to be taken seriously either. It's an ignorant thought now that I mention it especially since there newest album "Liebe ist für alle da" is pretty damn good. To pass off a band simply because they sing in German is absurd and now that I can appreciate their work I know that in the future I won't be so quick to judge.

This is the band's first album since 2005 and from what I've read it's a bit of a departure for them in that it hits harder and isn't as dancey. Opening with "Rammlied" (Rammstein the song essentially) you can immediately tell that it is harder hitting with it's heavy guitars and deep vocals. I feel a bit foolish for thinking the German vocals were ruining the quality of the band's work because they actually work quite well with the music. It's a nice change listening to something and not understanding the lyrics; you can focus your attention more on how the vocals work in relation to the music instead of what they mean. Take for instance one of the bonus tracks from the album "Donaukinder", I have no clue what he is singing about but the vocals work so well with the music. Take a listen and see what I mean:



This album isn't for everyone but if you're looking for something a little different I strongly recommend you get Rammstein's latest.

1 comment:

Fingish said...

Well I was always a closet fan of their album Sehnsucht from '98 but I can say that this year's release is their finest work yet.