Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Decade Look: Part 4 - Ween's Quebec


The new blog format is coming soon but for now I think another entry in the "Decade Look" series is in order. This post concerns one of my favorite bands of the decade and of all time, Ween. Even though my interest in them has diminished slightly over the past couple years (especially after their most recent album "La Cucracha") I still hold them in the highest regard. Ween have managed to stay around all these years for three reasons: first and foremost they are one of the best live bands around, secondly they have released 10 solid albums and lastly they have garnered a large and loyal fanbase. It's not exactly surprising that they are so well liked. Think of any other band that has made multiple great albums and put on good live shows, they too have longevity.

This brings me now to the topic of my post, Ween's 2003 album, "Quebec". Those who know the band know that before the release of "Quebec" Ween had made classics such as '94's "Chocolate and Cheese", '97's "The Mollusk" and '00's "White Pepper" (which will be the topic of another post some other day). To me "Quebec" is a marriage of all three of those albums into one sprawling album. The band cover all sorts of styles: "It's Gonna Be a Long Night" is a Dean Ween sung Motorhead-esque opener, "So Many People In The Neighborhood" has an electronic feel to it and "I Don't Want It" is a rock ballad with a rare guitar solo by Gene Ween the group's lead singer. My favorite track on the album "The Argus" features some of the finest lyrics Gene Ween has ever written. No matter what the style Ween executes flawlessly on every track.



Standout tracks: Transdermal Celebration, Tried and True, Happy Colored Marbles, I Don't Want It, The Argus

1 comment:

Thomson said...

I must add, seeing Gene perform "Happy Colored Marbles" on piano at his solo performance was pretty outstanding.