Sunday, May 9, 2010

Update: I'm Still Here!

Dear readers,

Activity has been lacking of late on the blog and I apologize. Looking for some insight into what 'matters' you've been coming here for answers and have been hugely let down. Truth be told I'm not finding much in the way of inspiration in a lot of the music I've been listening to lately and haven't had much reason to post. I've thought about it and have narrowed it down to three possible explanations:
1. Shortage of time.
2. Not being completely truthful with myself about what I want to/think I should be bothering to listen to.
3. Music sucks.
Option one is just an excuse and option three is just plain insanity so I therefore can only think that my only relief in this period of frustration is to remedy option two. I pledge to fix the problem and bring some excitement and intrigue back into DMAT Matters. Hopefully sooner rather than later... Let's begin now!

New Music that Matters

Bonobo - Black Sands
I listened to this album three times today and although it hasn't completely sunk in I'm already quite enamored with it. Much of it reminds me of Thievery Corporation, heavy on the horns and latin vibes but with an Asian twist and some great synth touches. Three tracks have vocals, "The Keeper" in particular standing out with it's memorable guitars and cool flow. My favorite moment on the album is the finale title track which plucks along perfectly before flourishing into a medley of clarinets, horns and strings.