Friday, April 9, 2010

Decade Look: Part 15 - Muse's Absolution

For me, this trio from Britain have proven difficult to get into despite critical acclaim in their home country and beyond. Since I first discovered them about two years ago I've had stretches where I go from being absolutely enamored and then disregarding. Admittedly, up until the other day, I had never sat through an entire Muse album; I had always found Matt Bellamy's singing a bit superfluous. After putting on this 2003 album a couple days ago and sitting through the whole thing (and thoroughly enjoying it) I realized that Muse's sound is as Bellamy sings: over the top. While this is normally a contemptible trait and most 'mainstream' artists are as such, in Muse's case, it's what makes them so alluring. The first heavily struck piano chords of second track "Apocalypse Please" are a prime example: excessive yet intriguing. Before you know it you're caught up in the infectious bass-line of the following track "Time is Running Out" and the catchy chorus of "Sing for Absolution". The breathless pace continues with the shredding guitar licks and thrash of "Stockholm Syndrome" before a reprieve is finally found in "Falling Away With You". A few more hyper tracks follow including the immense "Butterflies and Hurricanes" that has to do with the butterfly effect of chaos theory, blah blah blah, who cares, it's a good song. Nearing the end of the album comes one of my favorite tracks on it, "Endlessly", a ballad of sorts that has stuck with me more than any other song. Soft electronic piano is accompanied by brushed drums, a perfect synth line in the chorus and Matt Bellamy's pining lyrics. I'm inclined to think my difficulties with Muse are a thing of the past and my interest in their music is just beginning.



Standout tracks: Time is Running Out, Stockholm Syndrome, Blackout, Butterflies and Hurricanes, Endlessly

No comments: