Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Decade Look: Part 7 - The Walkmen's You & Me

This album is a behemoth. The overuse of the word epic nowadays has diluted it's meaning and rendered it useless as a descriptive word for an album of such magnitude. As I come back to it now for this post, I find comfort in the familiarity of the music; it is a trait that all classic albums have. The opening crash of "Dónde Está la Playa" immediately brings me back to the first time I heard the album and stirs up memories of the live show that has had such a lasting impression on me. The band as a whole have a unique sound, their preference of vintage instruments makes them "old" yet at the same time refreshing. Lead singer Hamilton Leithauser has one of the more unique voices in music. When I saw him live I couldn't help but think he looked like he was in pain, his yell/sing is amazing. As far as songs on the album go, "On the Water" is one of my favorites; the whistling at the end gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. "In the New Year" showcases that yell/sing I was talking about and the opening guitar bit is classic. Quieter moments such as "Red Moon" and "Long Time Ahead of Us" are reminiscent of the early works of Leonard Cohen, which comes as no surprise as The Walkmen have covered him in the past. Taken as a whole "You & Me" never meanders, never strays, it stays it's course, and it's a ride I will continue to take for many years to come.



Standout tracks: On the Water, In the New Year, Red Moon, Canadian Girl, New Country

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I work in an environment where music is played over the public address. Its the worst Pop culture music you could imagine. Played over and over again. Van Morrison for example to name one of many. Your Blog is a breath of fresh air. Thanks.